Saturday, March 23, 2019

Surviving the bombing in Brussels

'Everyone, please get out of the lounge to the open area outside leaving your carry on’, one of the flight attendants came rushing from the other end of the terminal. I was one step away from buying the famous Belgium chocolates in the Duty-free shop in the Zaventem Airport Brussels. I was about to sneak but seeing the sudden unrest enveloping in the airport, pulled myself out of my chocolate world. March 22,2016, I was traveling to USA from Nepal for the first time and my transit was in Brussels,Belgium. 

‘Airport is under attacked by terrorists. Please get outside! ‘- one of the Airport staffs announced loudly with pain in the voice.  ran outside along with other passengers. Meanwhile the fear had taken over. A busy, vibrant airport had turned into a war zone. I was looking around to observe the people not knowing how to react. I saw a young couple crying ang hugging each other tight. ‘Mom, I am safe. I miss you’ a beautiful girl with teary eyes relives her mom on phone. I could see the tears and fear in the eyes of people. I don’t know if it was the cold or the fear that I was shivering inside quite a lot. 

Then an army shuttle came to drop us outside the airport where thousands of passengers were left stranded. I was very much suffocated in the crowd and the whole situation so decided to take a small walk little away from the crowd and happened to see the front part of the airport where the bombing had occurred. I could not approach closer as it was all sealed and many policemen, army and journalists were covering the area. I couldn’t believe my eyes and that’s when I reckon it felt the shock deep inside. ‘Damn, I missed my flight to USA and I don’t know when I will reach?’ What a start of the trip to a different continent. 

 Ambulances were running back and forth. Blood stains and shattered glass, wounded people are all I could see. I thought it’s better to avoid the area.  While walking back, I saw a young girl yelling loud and crying with her friends. I went close to listen and realized she lost her close friends who had planned a random trip to visit Belgium on her insistence. She was waiting outside in a cafe while her friends were coming out of the airport but all she heard was the blast. 

After couple of hours waiting in the cold, we were taken to the air hanger. I took the shelter along with some of the fellow passengers who were also in transit and heading to the same destination. I was somewhat frustrated with having to go through as if I have been cursed during the trip. Either my luggage getting stuck in India for week or flight delayed for a day, survived the massive earthquake back in Nepal etc. Plus I was also menstruating so I was disgusted by the fact that I would be getting to shower soon. I was thinking about all those things in my head when I hear a gentle call from a very beautiful Indian woman who was also traveling via same flight with me.  ‘Do you want some of these breads and yes, I also got shawls?’-she approached to me with a gentle smile and wrapped me up with the warm shawl distributed by the Belgian Red Cross Society.  It was really nice gesture amidst the chaos. In a very short time, we became sisters from strangers. We talked about many things from men to traveling to independence. We shared and created memories together. During the incident, luckily I had got a chance to connect with my Belgian friend Brian Decrop who made an effort to communicate with my family members and friends about my safety. On top of that, he also visited me and brought me some Belgian chocolates.
 
The 3 days went so quick, but it was somewhat a life changing experience for me. The flight officials planned to redirect us to Amsterdam airport as the airport was still shutdown for days.
I enriched myself with another perspective that day. I was in the city which was my dream. Anne Frank was who introduced me to Amsterdam in her diaries and there I stood filled with joy and hoping maybe I could visit her Secret Annex. Amidst the chaos, the blood stains, the shattered glasses and the crispy cold air that chilled my spine, I still could smell the daffodil and tulips outside the hotel. After 5 days of staying inside this closed hall with hundreds of people, their frustrations, anguish and complaints, I was lured to go outside to see those beautiful flower blooming in the gloomy weather reminded me of my idol Anne Frank. I closed my eyes and whispered, ‘Anne, I am here!’- with a big grin on my face. It was my dream to visit Amsterdam and specially Secret Annex. I was there and yet I could not visit as I did not have visa. However, I was grateful to have touched, felt and smelled the country. 

While I recollect the memories from the unique experience of my life, it breaks my heart to be talking about another terrorist attack that happened last week in New Zealand. If you ask the people who went through these horrific experience , you would know how much they pray that nobody has to ever go through such things in life and yet people seem to be making others suffer. Terrorism should not be generalized to certain religion or country . It's like disease that discriminates no-one but now on the name of patriotism, religion or any extremists thought people are killing each other and it sickens me . How can human lose humanity? 

Based on my experiences , all I can say we all have heart- beating beneath our chest no matter how we look, how we dress and what beliefs we have. We all bleed red if wounded so rather than trying to differentiate among ourselves, try to help, respect and be kind to each other as you never know what the other person is going through. Peace! 

P.S I offer my praying for the ones who has lost their lives that day. Hopefully people who experienced it all that day are recovering and enjoying their life to the fullest.I am also very grateful to Belgium govt, airport staffs and volunteers who took care of us. I am grateful to have been granted this life again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Earthquake in Nepal: Remnants of massive 2015 earthquake

The massive earthquake on 25 th April 2015 killed more than 9000 people and displaced many people. Thousands of houses were destroyed or d...